Things I've Learned About Paris So Far

14:31

Hello, bonjour, hola 

Its the end of week five at La Sorbonne and my sixth week in Paris and I am VERY ready for this week off I now have! 

Since this is sort of a milestone in my year abroad, I thought I'd share some things I've learned about Paris since I first arrived... 

1. The French stereotype
I'm sure that anyone reading this is familiar with the stereotype that we give to French people - you know, striped tops, beret, garlic and a baguette in hand? 
Well, I was surprised but also quite pleased to see that the baguette side of things is not just a stereotype. The French, or at least the Parisians, walk around with baguettes as if they're any other regular accessory. One thing I think is absolutely brilliant about this baguette situation, is how most people I've seen have not one but two baguettes - one that they're eating on the go, and one that they're taking home. Absolutely genius if you ask me.

2. Sundays aren't fundays 
So, it turns out we've been spoilt in the UK when it comes to things to do on a Sunday. I know that most shops close early on a Sunday at home, but here nothing is open! Okay, I tell a lie, there are certain areas (densely populated by tourists) which stay open on a Sunday, but honestly the majority of the French population seems to stay in bed. If I want to do a spot of Sunday shopping I have to travel about 40 minutes to a big shopping centre at La Défense, which isn't bad, but I'd prefer to shop a little closer to home! 

[Tip: Place des Vosges is a gorgeous park in the 4th arrondissement and is surrounded by little streets with shops and cafés which are open on a Sunday - we went last week and found a street dedicated to falafel. Definitely worth a look.]

3. Its not rude to stare (or wink, or cat call, or just be a complete pervert...) 
This one really grinds my gears. It turns out that the male population of Paris was never taught that its rude to stare. Honestly, the number of times I have been walking along minding my own business and I've had a man step closer to me and wink, or say something in French like 'salut chouchou' ('hey sweetheart'), its something that happens everyday. 
I think the thing I have the biggest issue with (if you read Sam's blog you'll have read about this already) is when I'm on the metro and a man decides to have a staring contest with me, and even when I make eye contact and look away (i.e. lose the contest) they don't give up! The perfect example of this is last night. Sam and I were on our way to meet some friends for dinner, sat on the metro for twenty minutes with a man stood directly in front of me staring me the WHOLE TIME. Twenty minutes. I looked at him, let me eyes tell him to bugger off, he didn't take the hint. Sam looked at him, then me, then back to him and shook his head - still nothing. This guy did not give up. It really is disgusting, but for some reason everyone seems to think its alright here. 

4. Organisation 
There is none. Read my previous posts for examples! 

5. Sam attracts weirdos
Finally and not really relevant to Paris, but honestly, being around Sam is exactly like going out in public with my mum - they both have this incredible ability to track down the most bizarre people. 
For example, last night we went out for dinner and the waiter would not leave Sam alone. He was stroking him, telling him he was strong and sort of just standing next to him giggling. It was odd, and that was not the first time we've been in that kind of situation. 

[Tip: I supposed it goes without saying, but be careful if and when you're in these bizarre situations. We were on the steps of the Sacré-Cœur one night last weekend and a similar thing happened, but my friend's purse was stolen and we think it was when a man was making us laugh while he was stroking Sam's leg. Keep your wits about you!] 

À bientôt! 

Bean xx


You Might Also Like

0 comments