Six Weeks in Santiago

08:45

Yesterday I got a notification from my countdown app telling me I only had three months left of my year abroad and I swear I nearly cried! I do not want to leave this place. I can't believe how quickly the last six weeks have gone - "time flies" and all that. 

Anyway, since I've been here six weeks I thought it was time to do a little update...

Mum visited and saw Santiago in the rain, sun and hail. We shopped, we laughed and we ate enough to feed the five thousand. I had the best time with her and I'm so glad she could come out to see me, but the most reassuring thing was that when she left I didn't have a full on breakdown like I did every time she left Paris or I went back. I must actually be happy here!



I'm starting to understand Italian. Yep, that's a real thing that seems to be happening. I realised this when Virgi (my flat mate) was on the phone to her boyfriend (also Italian) telling him I don't have to study because I don't have to pass my exams, when I piped up to defend myself and saw the look on her face, I realised she'd been speaking Italian. So that's good isn't it - came here to improve my Spanish and am learning a new language instead. Pretty inevitable really considering I spend a solid 75% of my time with Italians (no complaints). I should point out I understand a few words, and cannot speak it at all, let's not get ahead of ourselves now. 


In the last few weeks I have also been kicked out of flats by the police at 2am (my friends' neighbours don't seem to like having students live in their buildings), booked my flights to Cadiz to go and visit my lovely pal Emily Oz in April, eaten A LOT of Milka chocolate, spent a night in hospital (oops), converted our lounge into a gym with Virgi and spent half the workout laying on the floor laughing at how much pain we're in and fully embraced the siesta life. 



The bottom line is, I am really, really happy here. I love Santiago, despite the fact that it rains more than England (not a fact but I'm pretty sure its an accurate judgement!). Uni is pretty good, I mean aside from the fact that I have one lecturer who turns up 20 minutes late and tells us things that aren't right (for example, some guy we're studying was born when his dad was nine years old...), and that I have two literature classes that are taught in Galician, which I can't speak. The positive is I only have about three hours of classes everyday, and never anything after 3pm. 

Bring on the next three months!
Bean xx 

Ps. I promised Bobo a couple of weeks ago that I'd write about him in my blog. Bobo, aquí está tu mención especial 



You Might Also Like

0 comments